Thursday, March 7, 2013

REMEMBER THE ALAMO

This week, 177 years ago, an old Spanish mission in San Antonio known as the Alamo fell on the last day of a brutal 13-day siege by the Mexican Army. All 189 of the Texans defending the mission either died in the battle or were summarily executed when the smoke cleared. Among those who fell at the Alamo were Lt. Col. William Barret Travis, the Alamo's commander, entrepreneur-adventurer James Bowie, and Tennessee congressman Davy Crockett. The sacrifice of Travis and the rest of his command animated the rest of Texas and kindled a righteous wrath on the battlefield at San Jacinto. Since 1836, Americans on battlefields over the globe have responded to the exhortation, "Remember the Alamo!"

For the Christian, however, our battle cry is “Remember the cross!” It was there that the war against sin and death was waged and won. The grave lost its victory and death lost its sting. The great hymn writer Isaac Watts penned these words…

Am I a soldier of the cross, a follower of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause, or blush to speak His Name?
Must I be carried to the skies on flowery beds of ease,
While others fought to win the prize, and sailed through bloody seas?
Are there no foes for me to face? Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace, to help me on to God?
Sure I must fight, if I would reign; increase my courage, Lord
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain, supported by Thy Word
Thy saints in all this glorious war shall conquer, though they die
They see the triumph from afar, by faith they bring it nigh
When that illustrious day shall rise, and all Thy armies shine
In robes of victory through skies, the glory shall be Thine

Remember the cross, Christ follower.  We are lost without it; we are conquerors with it.  






No comments:

Post a Comment